- Contact Us
for Help Today
“I got injured on the job and at the time my son worked at the hospital. He recommended Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC to me. I went into the office and talked with Fred and he made me feel good about my situation. He turned me over to Stewart, and she did a fantastic job. I did not make it easy on her. I made some changes in my work history during the case that did not help her at all. Stewart worked very hard for me, and I received more than I thought I would get. I would recommend this firm to everyone, not just for workers comp., but for any legal needs.”
─ C.S., Rockingham, NC
“A friend told me to call Fred Poisson, Jr. and that he would tell me my options about my case and do what’s best for me. My experience was very pleasant, he and his staff went out of their way to make me feel comfortable every time I was there. I would tell friends and family to call and talk to Mr. Poisson and form their own opinions, and I’m sure they would see what I saw and would choose Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC. What’s not to like about Mr. Poisson, he was a friend and someone you liked whenever you first met him.”
─ C.K., Chesterfield, S.C.
“Working with Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC has truly been life-changing for me. I was in way over my head after I was in a serious car accident when 34 weeks pregnant. This was a Workers’ Compensation case, and I can honestly say I felt so incredibly well taken care of by these caring and incredibly smart, genuinely wonderful attorneys. As a new mom, I knew Stewart Poisson was working on my behalf so I could focus on motherhood. I am more than satisfied and couldn’t recommend this firm enough.”
─ Satisfied Client
All too often, car accidents are preventable tragedies caused by drivers who are impaired, reckless, or simply inattentive. If you were injured in a car accident in Wilmington that wasn’t your fault, you should not be forced to pay for someone else’s mistake. The Wilmington car accident lawyers of Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC can help you pursue the compensation you need for medical bills, missed time from work, pain and suffering, and other losses.
Our family-run law firm has more than 40 years of experience serving car accident victims in Wilmington and surrounding areas of North Carolina. We have the resources and skills needed to hold negligent drivers accountable for the harm they cause. Why do we fight? To help people like you get justice.
Contact us today to discuss how our lawyers can help you in the aftermath of a devastating crash. Our team in New Hanover County offers free, confidential case reviews, and we won’t charge any legal fees unless we recover compensation for you.
How a Wilmington Car Accident Attorney Can Help You
Dealing with a car accident claim on your own can be stressful, especially if you are recovering from painful injuries. It can be a challenge simply trying to figure out which type of doctor you need to visit, let alone keeping track of meticulous paperwork and dealing with aggressive insurance adjusters.
An experienced Wilmington car accident attorney from Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC can take the pressure off you during this difficult time. Our lawyers will be ready to help you by:
- Explaining your legal rights and options in a free case review
- Investigating all possible contributing factors and effects of the accident
- Identifying all possible sources of compensation available to you
- Helping you find the medical care you need to recover from your injuries
- Determining the full potential value of your car accident claim by taking into account all current and future anticipated losses
- Identifying and collecting useful evidence to support your case
- Managing important documents, legal requirements, and filing deadlines
- Communicating with insurance providers and other parties on your behalf
- Negotiating for a fair settlement that compensates you for all accident-related losses
- Taking your case to court if insurance companies minimize or reject your claim
Compensation in a Car Accident Case
If you are involved in a car accident caused by another driver, you shouldn’t be on the hook for the financial consequences of that person’s actions. Our Wilmington car accident attorneys will fight to hold the at-fault driver responsible for the damages caused.
Some of the common types of compensation we recover in car accident claims include:
- Medical expenses – This includes past, present, and future costs of medical care related to the treatment of your injuries, such as hospital stays, surgical bills, diagnostic imaging tests, prescription costs, and rehabilitative care.
- Incidental costs – Any expenses you incur due to your injuries, including costs of transportation to appointments, costs of in-home care, and costs of home- or car-accessibility modifications.
- Lost wages – Any reductions you see in your take-home pay due to missed time at work while you recover.
- Lost future earning potential – If your injuries cause temporary or permanent disabilities, you could receive compensation for losses to your future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering – The subjective costs of physical pain, mental anguish, and emotional suffering resulting from the accident.
- Punitive damages – These damages may be available in extreme cases involving egregiously negligent or intentionally malicious at-fault parties. This behavior could include street racing, driving while intoxicated, or driving at speeds well above the speed limit.
Time Limits for Filing a Car Accident Lawsuit
State law limits the amount of time you have to file a car accident lawsuit against an at-fault party. Specifically, North Carolina’s statute of limitations provides three years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit in civil court. If you fail to file a lawsuit before this legal deadline is up, you will likely lose your ability to recover compensation.
Even if you don’t plan to take a lawsuit to court, your ability to secure compensation through a car accident insurance claim will be limited if the three-year statute of limitations has ended. After all, you won’t have much negotiating leverage with the insurance company if you no longer have the option to threaten legal action.
What to Do If You Have Been Hurt in a Car Accident in Wilmington
If you were injured in a car accident in Wilmington, you can take several steps to protect your health, your rights, and your ability to recover money for your accident-related losses. You should:
- Seek prompt medical attention for your injuries so that you receive needed treatment and establish a record of your medical condition.
- Follow your doctor’s orders for treatment, rest, and medication to give yourself the best shot at a full recovery.
- Record everything you can remember about the accident while the events are fresh in your mind.
- Take photographs of any visible injuries or property damage caused by the crash.
- If possible, ask any available witnesses for contact details.
- Document your recovery in a pain journal by recording your daily levels of physical discomfort and any limitations you experience.
- Avoid discussing the details of the accident when you speak to insurance providers. Do not give a recorded or written statement.
- Refrain from posting or sharing on social media while your claim is pending.
- Speak to a car accident attorney in Wilmington as soon as possible. Your attorney will work quickly to preserve evidence, ensure you have access to the right medical care, and protect your rights from the very beginning.
Talk to a Car Accident Lawyer in Wilmington Now
If you were injured in a traffic collision in the Wilmington area, our law firm can help you pursue the money you need and deserve. At Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC, our Wilmington car accident attorneys have more than 40 years of experience with holding negligent drivers responsible for the damage they have caused. Don’t let someone else’s carelessness cause you any more harm. Contact us for a free consultation today.