- Contact Us
for Help Today
- Useful Information
Rear-end car accidents are some of the most common crashes in Wilmington. The North Carolina Department of Transportation reports more than 5,000 car accidents in New Hanover County in one recent year, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says that nearly one-third of all crashes are rear-ended collisions. Rear-end collisions often leave victims with severe injuries and costly medical bills.
The North Carolina car accident attorneys at Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC, have been fighting on behalf of injured victims for more than 40 years. Our Wilmington rear-end accident lawyers have recovered millions of dollars for crash victims so they can pay their bills and get the treatment they need. We are prepared to aggressively fight for your rights and work hard to make the process as painless as possible.
Contact our Wilmington office today for a free case review.
Why You Need an Attorney on Your Side
If a rear-end collision has caused you serious injuries and significant financial losses, here are a few key reasons to hire a Wilmington personal injury attorney:
- Your physical condition — If you have been severely injured in a rear-end collision, your first priority must be your health and medical treatment. There is a lot of time and effort involved in a personal injury case. An attorney can handle this work on your behalf while you focus on the healing process.
- Paying for your medical treatment — When you add up the cost of a hospital stay, surgical procedures, lab tests, prescription drugs, physical therapy, and doctor’s appointments after a rear-end collision, you could be looking at thousands of dollars in medical bills. You should not have to pay the medical bills if someone else’s negligence caused your injuries. A personal injury lawyer can help you recover the money you need.
- Your lost income — A rear-end collision can leave you unable to work for weeks or months after an accident. While you need time to heal, it is a long time to go without income. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you recover compensation to make up for your missed income while you recover from a rear-end accident.
- Holding negligent drivers accountable — A driver who causes a rear-end collision may be cited for a traffic infraction or be charged with a crime, but that is not always the case. While a personal injury lawsuit is a civil court matter and cannot send someone to prison, working with a personal injury attorney gives you a chance to hold a negligent driver responsible for their conduct.
Common Causes of Rear-End Car Accidents in Wilmington, NC
Driver negligence causes most of the rear-end accidents in Wilmington. Some common forms of negligence that can cause an accident include:
- Following too closely
- Driving while impaired by drugs or alcohol
- Distracted driving
- Driving while severely fatigued
- Road rage
- Mechanical failure due to a manufacturing or design defect
- Not accounting for bad weather or poor road conditions
Determining Liability in a Rear-end Accident
When it comes to rear-end accidents in Wilmington, police, insurance companies, and the courts generally believe that the rear driver is responsible for the crash. The rules of the road say that the rear driver must maintain a safe following distance, and if a rear-end collision occurs, it is most likely because the rear driver was negligent.
If you are involved in a rear-end accident, and you were the front driver, this liability presumption works in your favor. If you were the rear driver, though, recovering compensation for your injuries could be an uphill battle. You will have to provide strong evidence that the driver in front was somehow negligent. For example, if the driver in front deliberately slammed on their brakes, you may be able to prove it by having an expert examine the skid marks at the crash scene.
If more than two vehicles are involved in a rear-end collision, determining liability can be even more difficult. For instance, in a three-car, chain-reaction collision, if both the second and third drivers followed too closely, both may be negligent. Insurance companies often fight claims involving more than three vehicles because of how difficult it is to determine liability. But an experienced injury attorney can help you find the evidence you need to prove your case.
Seeking Compensation After a Rear-End Accident in NC
Rear-end accidents can cause severe injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck injuries, including whiplash
- Back and spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Crushed limbs
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Soft-tissue injuries
- Broken bones
- Psychological distress
The cost of treating these injuries, the pain they cause, and the emotional distress can add up quickly after a rear-end accident. An experienced Wilmington rear-end accident lawyer can help you pursue compensation for some of these losses, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Reduced future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Mental or emotional distress
- Damaged personal property
Contact a Skilled Wilmington Rear-End Collision Lawyer Today
Recovering compensation for your injuries after a rear-end collision can be painful and costly. Fortunately, the Wilmington rear-end accident lawyers at Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC, have the experience and resources necessary to help you seek the compensation you need to get treatment, pay your bills, and move on with your life.
Contact our office today for a free initial consultation.