For motorcyclists, a pleasant ride can quickly turn into a nightmare if a negligent motorist or other problem causes a crash. You may be facing overwhelming medical bills and a range of other unexpected expenses, all while having to miss work due to your injuries. Let the North Carolina motorcycle accident lawyers of Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC take the pressure off you during this stressful time.
Our respected attorneys can help you pursue the full compensation you need to pay your medical bills, repair your bike, and make up for other losses. We have more than 40 years of experience looking out for motorcyclists who have been hurt in crashes throughout North Carolina. With offices in Wilmington and Wadesboro, our motorcycle accident attorneys can meet with you anywhere that is convenient for you. Call us or reach out online for a free case review.
Why Are Motorcycle Accident Claims So Complicated?
Motorcycle accidents are different from “regular” car accidents in several ways. That’s why it is vital to hire a lawyer with specific experience handling motorcycle accident cases. Some of the reasons these claims are more complicated include:
- Negative stereotypes – Many people harbor unfair, negative stereotypes about motorcyclists. Some believe that motorcycles don’t belong on the road, or that motorcyclists are all wild risk-takers. Unfortunately, these biases can work against motorcyclists in insurance claims and courtrooms.
- Lack of motorcycle knowledge – There are many differences between riding a motorcycle and driving a car, and not everyone understands these distinctions. Other drivers with little or no awareness of how to operate a motorcycle may struggle to understand why motorcyclists react differently in certain situations.
- More catastrophic injuries – Because they are totally exposed, motorcyclists tend to sustain more serious injuries than occupants in passenger cars. This means more costly medical bills and more expensive claims. Insurance companies often try to minimize or deny large claims for compensation to protect their bottom lines.
Compensation After a Motorcycle Accident
If you were injured in a motorcycle crash and someone else is to blame, you shouldn’t have to deal with the unexpected financial stress that has been thrust upon you. The at-fault party could owe you significant compensation, including money for:
- Current and future medical bills
- Travel costs to medical appointments
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss in quality or enjoyment of life
North Carolina law also allows the court to award punitive damages (in rare cases) when the person at fault acted in a deliberately careless or malicious manner — for example, by street racing or driving while intoxicated.
How a North Carolina Motorcycle Accident Attorney Can Help
Motorcycle accident cases frequently result in devastating injuries and costly medical bills. The thought of handling a complex, high-value claim on your own can be intimidating, especially when you are just struggling to get through each day. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney at Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC can relieve this pressure by handling every detail of your case while you focus on your health. We will:
- Explain your rights and legal options during a free consultation
- Conduct our own independent investigation of the accident
- Identify and preserve valuable evidence to support your claim
- Manage important paperwork and legal deadlines on your behalf
- Communicate with insurance providers and other parties on your behalf
- Work with expert witnesses such as accident reconstruction specialists
- Negotiate aggressively with insurance providers for a full and fair settlement
- Take your case to trial if a reasonable motorcycle accident settlement cannot be reached