- Contact Us
for Help Today
“I was referred by my cousin who was a local chiropractor. I’ve had a great experience with this being my first time ever getting a lawyer. I have recommended Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC because of the great service and every question I have they answer to the best of their ability. They are prompt to return calls, on point with any problems I need solving and always in a timely manner. Dianna is very understanding with my circumstances even when I’m harsh. She puts herself in my situation and tries to understand what I feel like and does her best to do what she can. She calls to check in. She is always fast about getting back to me.”
─ D.S., Maxton, N.C.
“I got injured on the job and at the time my son worked at the hospital. He recommended Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC to me. I went into the office and talked with Fred and he made me feel good about my situation. He turned me over to Stewart, and she did a fantastic job. I did not make it easy on her. I made some changes in my work history during the case that did not help her at all. Stewart worked very hard for me, and I received more than I thought I would get. I would recommend this firm to everyone, not just for workers comp., but for any legal needs.”
─ C.S., Rockingham, NC
“A friend told me to call Fred Poisson, Jr. and that he would tell me my options about my case and do what’s best for me. My experience was very pleasant, he and his staff went out of their way to make me feel comfortable every time I was there. I would tell friends and family to call and talk to Mr. Poisson and form their own opinions, and I’m sure they would see what I saw and would choose Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC. What’s not to like about Mr. Poisson, he was a friend and someone you liked whenever you first met him.”
─ C.K., Chesterfield, S.C.
Truck accident claims are uniquely complex and typically involve multiple parties. This can put injured victims at a disadvantage. If you have been hurt in a crash with a big rig, trust the knowledgeable Wilmington truck accident lawyers at Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC.
Our Wilmington personal injury law firm has extensive experience and a deep understanding of federal and state commercial trucking regulations. Our attorneys will act quickly to preserve valuable evidence before it’s destroyed or spoiled. We will retain top experts to provide testimony on your behalf. We will take on trucking companies and insurance providers that try to protect their own interests by minimizing their responsibility and denying you coverage. With our legal team on your side, you can level the playing field and demand the compensation you deserve.
If you are worried about the cost of hiring a truck accident attorney in Wilmington, you should know that we work on a contingency basis. This means you don’t owe us anything unless we recover compensation for you. We charge no upfront fees to take on your case, and our initial case reviews are always free. Contact us today to discuss the details of your Wilmington truck accident claim and learn more about how we can help you.
What Makes Truck Accidents So Complicated?
Truck accident cases are frequently far more difficult to manage than typical car accident cases. Several factors specific to the commercial trucking industry tend to make truck accidents more complicated, including:
- More catastrophic injuries and damage – Because of the significant size difference between large trucks and standard passenger vehicles, semi-truck accidents tend to cause more serious injuries and property damage. This means truck accident claims are usually more expensive, and at-fault parties have more incentive to deny responsibility.
- More potentially at-fault parties – Any of the parties involved in the operation of a commercial motor vehicle could be at fault for a truck accident. Each of these parties may also have their own insurance providers and lawyers, which can complicate matters even further.
- Different driving rules and regulations – Truck drivers and owners must abide by a variety of federal and state rules and regulations. It is crucial that you have a lawyer who understands these complex rules and can fight to hold companies accountable when they break them.
Who Can Be Held Responsible After a Truck Crash in Wilmington?
In car accident cases, liability is typically limited to the drivers who were involved in the accident. However, truck accidents tend to involve more parties who could potentially be held responsible, including the:
- Truck driver if he or she was driving carelessly or failed to properly inspect or maintain the truck
- Individual or company that owns the truck if it neglected to conduct regular inspections or repairs to maintain the truck
- Company that hired the truck driver if it was negligent in hiring, screening, or training procedures
- Mechanic or auto shop that worked on the truck if the mechanics failed to properly maintain or repair the truck during inspections
- Manufacturer of any truck components if a defective component contributed to conditions that caused the truck accident
- Cargo loading team that packed cargo into a truck if it overloaded the trailer or failed to properly secure the cargo for transit.
Compensation in a Truck Accident Claim
If you were injured in a Wilmington truck accident through no fault of your own, you shouldn’t bear the burden of paying for the damages caused by someone else. You have the right to seek compensation in a truck accident claim for:
- Costs of any past, current, or future medical care for your injuries
- Value of any income losses you incur because of missed time at work
- Potential value of any losses in your future earning potential if you suffer from a long-term disability that prevents you from returning to your previous job
- Any pain and suffering you endure due to your injuries
Time Limit for Filing a Truck Accident Lawsuit
If you wish to file a truck accident lawsuit in Wilmington or elsewhere in North Carolina, you must do so before the relevant statute of limitations expires. In North Carolina, the statute of limitations provides injured victims three years from the date of the wreck to file a truck accident lawsuit in civil court. If you wait too long to file a truck accident lawsuit, and this three-year time limit runs out, you will lose your ability to recover compensation.
Even if you exclusively plan to pursue compensation through an insurance settlement, you need to pay attention to the statute of limitations. After all, if you lose the ability to pressure insurance adjusters with the prospect of a lawsuit, you will have no real leverage on your side during settlement negotiations.
How Our Wilmington Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help
With the help of a skilled truck accident attorney at Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC, you can rest easy knowing that your case is in good hands. With more than 40 years of experience standing up for injured victims here in Wilmington and throughout North Carolina, our respected legal team knows what it takes to fight for the compensation you deserve.
Our team is always ready to respond swiftly in the event of a truck accident to preserve crucial evidence along with your right to hold negligent parties accountable. If you have been hurt and need legal advice, contact us for a free consultation.