- Contact Us
for Help Today
In the heat of a North Carolina summer, nothing seems more inviting than a dip in a swimming pool. However, pools can pose grave risks. Swimming pool accidents can result in devastating injuries and even death.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Wilmington swimming pool accident, you need a dedicated advocate to fight for your rights. The experienced attorneys at Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC, offer experienced, compassionate legal assistance to victims of swimming pool accidents in Wilmington and surrounding areas of North Carolina.
Contact us today for a free case review to learn how we can help you pursue compensation for your accident-related losses.
How Our Law Firm Helps Victims of Swimming Pool Accidents in Wilmington, NC
Swimming pool accidents can change lives instantly. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 4,000 people die due to drowning each year. A further 8,000 individuals require emergency room visits after non-fatal drownings.
Our legal team at Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC, understands the emotional, physical, and financial burden pool accidents can cause. We stand ready to guide you through the legal process and work to hold the responsible parties accountable. From collecting evidence and negotiating with insurance companies to representing you in court, we will work tirelessly to secure the maximum compensation you deserve.
Types of Swimming Pool Accidents and Injuries
Swimming pool accidents can take many forms, with various causes and results. Some of the most common types of accidents and injuries include:
- Slip and falls – Slippery surfaces around pools can lead to falls, resulting in anything from minor bruises to severe head injuries.
- Diving accidents – Unsafe diving boards can lead to catastrophic injuries.
- Drowning – A severe risk in any pool, drowning can occur quickly and quietly, often when the pool is not under active supervision.
- Drain entrapments – The suction from pool drains can trap a swimmer if their hair, clothing, or limbs cover the drain.
- Chemical exposure – Improperly balanced pool chemicals can lead to skin, eye, and respiratory issues.
The pool owner is responsible for providing a safe environment. The responsibility includes steps such as maintaining proper barriers, providing adequate supervision, ensuring the pool surfaces are not excessively slippery, and installing anti-entrapment devices.
Places Where Pool Accidents Occur in Wilmington
Swimming pool accidents can occur in various locations, from private homes to public facilities. According to the CDC, most drownings involving young children occur in residential pools or spas. However, accidents can also occur in places such as:
- Water parks
- Vacation rentals
- Public pools
- Neighborhood pools
- Swim clubs and fitness centers
- Private homes
Common Causes of Swimming Pool Accidents
Swimming pool accidents often stem from a variety of causes, many of which involve negligence, such as:
- Inadequate maintenance – Pool owners must maintain their pools properly to ensure safety. Pools should have balanced chemicals, clean water, and well-maintained equipment.
- Lack of proper safety equipment – Pools should have safety equipment readily available, such as life rings, poles, and first-aid kits. Failure to provide these items can lead to preventable accidents.
- Insufficient supervision – Whether at a public pool or a private gathering, supervision is crucial. Lifeguards, parents, or other responsible adults should constantly monitor swimming activities.
- Negligent pool design – Faulty design, including excessively deep areas, inadequate signage, or slippery surfaces, can lead to severe accidents.
- Lack of locks – Pools should have secure barriers and locks to prevent unsupervised access, particularly by children.
Legal Rights of Swimming Pool Accident Victims in Wilmington
Victims of swimming pool accidents have legal rights that can help them seek justice for pool injuries caused by someone else. These rights come primarily from premises liability law, which holds property owners responsible for maintaining safe environments. This includes both homeowners and commercial entities like hotels and public pools. If a pool owner fails to provide a safe environment, they may be liable for resulting accidents.
Product liability law may also apply in cases involving defective products, such as malfunctioning pool drains. Manufacturers of these products may be legally responsible if their product contributes to an accident.
The attractive nuisance doctrine recognizes that certain property features, like swimming pools, can attract children. If a child trespasses and suffers an injury, the property owner could be liable, even if the child was not an invited visitor. That is particularly true if the property owner fails to secure the pool adequately and reasonably knew that children might try to access it.
Types of Compensation for People Hurt in Pools in Wilmington, NC
If you have been injured in a swimming pool accident in Wilmington, NC, you may be entitled to various forms of compensation, including money for:
- Medical expenses – You can claim compensation for past and future medical costs related to the accident, including hospital bills, rehabilitation, and ongoing care.
- Lost wages – If your injuries prevent you from working, you can seek compensation for lost income.
- Pain and suffering – You could receive compensation for physical pain and emotional distress caused by the accident.
- Loss of enjoyment of life – If the accident has affected your ability to enjoy life as you did before, you could be eligible for compensation.
Why Choose Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC, for Your Pool Accident Case?
If you have suffered injuries or lost a loved one in a swimming pool accident, you need a legal team that combines knowledge, experience, and commitment. The attorneys at Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC, embody these qualities.
Our law firm has a longstanding tradition of serving the Wilmington community. For the last 40-plus years, we have consistently prioritized the needs of our clients, providing comprehensive and personalized legal services.
We understand the intricacies of premises and product liability law, both crucial aspects of swimming pool accident cases. Our team is ready to meticulously investigate every detail of your case, identify all potentially liable parties, and build a robust case to seek compensation for you.
At Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC, we believe in the power of dedication and hard work. Our legal team is prepared to work tirelessly on your behalf, standing by your side throughout the process. We are committed to seeking justice for you and will go above and beyond to pursue the compensation you deserve.
Take the first step toward recovering compensation today. Contact Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC, for a free case review, and let our dedicated Wilmington pool accident attorneys fight for you.