- Contact Us
for Help Today
“I got injured on the job and at the time my son worked at the hospital. He recommended Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC to me. I went into the office and talked with Fred and he made me feel good about my situation. He turned me over to Stewart, and she did a fantastic job. I did not make it easy on her. I made some changes in my work history during the case that did not help her at all. Stewart worked very hard for me, and I received more than I thought I would get. I would recommend this firm to everyone, not just for workers comp., but for any legal needs.”
─ C.S., Rockingham, NC
“A friend told me to call Fred Poisson, Jr. and that he would tell me my options about my case and do what’s best for me. My experience was very pleasant, he and his staff went out of their way to make me feel comfortable every time I was there. I would tell friends and family to call and talk to Mr. Poisson and form their own opinions, and I’m sure they would see what I saw and would choose Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC. What’s not to like about Mr. Poisson, he was a friend and someone you liked whenever you first met him.”
─ C.K., Chesterfield, S.C.
“Working with Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC has truly been life-changing for me. I was in way over my head after I was in a serious car accident when 34 weeks pregnant. This was a Workers’ Compensation case, and I can honestly say I felt so incredibly well taken care of by these caring and incredibly smart, genuinely wonderful attorneys. As a new mom, I knew Stewart Poisson was working on my behalf so I could focus on motherhood. I am more than satisfied and couldn’t recommend this firm enough.”
─ Satisfied Client
Were you severely injured, or did you lose a loved one in a motorcycle crash in Wilmington? If so, contact the motorcycle accident lawyers at Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC, right away for help.
For over four decades, our personal injury attorneys have stood up for the rights and interests of injured motorcycle accident victims in Wilmington and throughout North Carolina. We have earned a reputation for getting results for our clients and helping them move on with their lives after a severe injury crash. We work to build a relationship with every client who comes through our doors, including ensuring you get the medical treatment you need for your injuries and seeking the justice you deserve.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle crash in Wilmington, NC, contact us online or call Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC today for a free, no-obligation case evaluation to discuss your legal rights and options with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Wilmington
Many motorcycle accidents in Wilmington result from the negligent or reckless behavior of other drivers on the road. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle crashes include:
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Reckless driving
- Aggressive driving/road rage
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving while feeling drowsy or fatigued
- Nighttime driving
- Unsafe turns or lane changes, including not signaling or failing to check mirrors or blind spots
- Running red lights and stop signs or otherwise disregarding traffic signs and controls
- Inexperienced drivers
- Inadequate vehicle maintenance
Other non-driver-related causes of motorcycle accidents include poor road conditions such as potholes or debris or black ice, defective road designs, or defective motorcycle parts.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents
Examples of the types of motorcycle accidents that occur in Wilmington include:
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end accidents
- Sideswipe collisions
- T-bone collisions
- Intersection accidents
- Left-turn accidents
- Highway accidents
- Road hazard accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Single-vehicle accidents
Common Motorcycle Injuries
Because a motorcycle rider is completely exposed to an accident, they face a significant risk of severe or life-threatening injuries. Injuries riders frequently suffer in motorcycle accidents include:
- Cuts, abrasions, and bruises
- Road rash
- Dislocated joints
- Broken bones
- Sprains and strains and other soft tissue injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Herniated discs
- Nerve injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Internal organ injuries and internal bleeding
- Facial injuries
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries
- Crush injuries
- Traumatic amputations
Types of Compensation for Wilmington Motorcycle Accidents
Victims of motorcycle accidents in Wilmington, NC, may be entitled to recover compensation from those at fault for the accident for expenses and losses such as:
- Medical expenses for ER visits, surgeries, prescriptions, doctor’s appointments, physical/occupational therapy, and medical equipment purchases
- Costs of home health care or long-term care services if you suffer disabilities from the motorcycle accident
- Loss of income when you miss work to treat and recover from your injuries
- Loss of future earnings and employment benefits if you are permanently disabled from gainful employment
- Loss of enjoyment and quality of life due to disfigurement, disability, or reduced life expectancy caused by your injuries
- Pain and emotional distress
- Repair or replacement costs for your damaged motorcycle
Safety Tips for Motorcyclists
Motorcyclists can help keep themselves safe on the road and reduce their risks of severe injuries in an accident by following some simple safety tips, including:
- Always wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Your helmet should comply with U.S. Department of Transportation requirements or be certified by the Snell Foundation or ANSI. Your helmet should also have a face shield, but if open-faced, you should wear goggles or safety glasses.
- Check your motorcycle every time before you set off, including making sure your tires have sufficient tread and air pressure, that your motorcycle has sufficient fluids and is not leaking fluids, and that your lights, brakes, and horn work properly.
- Familiarize yourself with the bike. When riding a model of motorcycle for the first time or riding for the first time after a long break from riding, go to a parking lot or other controlled area to get a feel for how the motorcycle handles, accelerates, and brakes before you get out on the road. Never operate a motorcycle whose performance exceeds your skill and experience level.
- Only carry a passenger on your motorcycle if it is equipped with a seat and separate footrests for a passenger. Remind your passenger to always keep their feet on the footrests, to hold onto by your waist or hips, and to lean at the same time and in the same direction you do.
- Obey all traffic laws, signs, and traffic controls.
- Never ride while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Practice defensive riding, including never assuming that another driver sees you and always having an “out” or knowing what to do if you find yourself facing a potential accident.
How a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Let a motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm help you seek justice. Our team can help by:
- Conducting a thorough investigation of the accident to recover evidence that shows how the accident occurred and who bears responsibility for the crash
- Advising you of your legal rights and options and explaining what you can expect at each stage of the case
- Documenting the full extent of your losses
- Identifying all possible sources of compensation, especially applicable insurance coverage
- Filing insurance claims on your behalf and vigorously pursuing a settlement that provides you with full compensation
- Taking your case to court if necessary to fully pursue your legal options
Contact Our Experienced Wilmington Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Today
Don’t wait until it is too late to seek compensation for your motorcycle accident injuries. Contact us online or call Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC, for a free initial consultation to speak to a knowledgeable Wilmington motorcycle accident lawyer today.