Are You Being Harassed by Debt Collectors?
North Carolina has strict laws making it unlawful for debt collectors to engage in debt harassment as a way to get debtors to pay their debts.
Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC has attorneys that have experience pursuing claims against debt collectors and creditors harassing debtors as a method of getting people to pay their debts. The following sets forth different examples of what types of actions are prohibited by the State of North Carolina. The penalties for engaging in debt harassment are severe.
Chapter 75 of North Carolina General Statues sets forth the law governing debt collection activities.
The Following are Examples of Debt Harassment:
- A debt collector cannot use a threat of violence or criminal action if you fail to pay a debt;
- A debt collector cannot use profanity or act in any manner which would “oppress, harass, or abuse any person in connection with the attempt to collect any debt”
- Calling someone at times other than normal waking hours;
- Calling someone so frequently “as to be unreasonable or to constitute a harassment to the person…”
- Discussing a debt with someone other than the holder of the debt;
- Calling someone’s place of employment;
- Misrepresenting the nature or amount of the debt; and
- Unreasonably publicizing someone’s debt;
Each case is fact specific. If you feel you are being misled or harassed, give Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC a call for a free consultation. There are certain provisions that also requires the debt collector to pay for the attorney’s fees associated with pursuing a debt harassment claim.
As previously stated, there are steep penalties that can be enforced through legal action. In addition to the payment of attorney’s fees, a debt collector may be held liable for an amount between $500.00 and $4,000.00 for each violation.
Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC has filed lawsuits against debt collectors for engaging in a campaign of harassing behavior. If you or someone you know is a victim of dent harassment, please give us a call.