A Car Accident Caused Me to Miss Work, Now What?

man calling attorney after missing work due to a car accident injury; get help from a NC car accident lawyer now!

Did you recently suffer injuries in a North Carolina car accident? Are you hurting too badly to return to work?

Missing work after a car accident can make an already stressful situation seem worse. The good news is that you don’t have to suffer in silence. You can demand money to replace your lost income by filing a personal injury claim or workers’ compensation claim with the help of a knowledgeable lawyer.

Here’s how to get started:

  1. Take care of your health. Your health should always be priority number one after a car accident. Prioritize your well-being by seeking medical attention promptly, following your doctor’s care plan, and taking the time you need to recover before returning to work.
  2. Notify your employer. You should notify your employer of a car accident that limits your ability to work as soon as possible. If you get hurt in a work-related car accident, you must notify your employer within 30 days of the accident to be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits.
  3. Gather documentation. Gather documentation for your case, including police crash reports, medical records, and doctor’s notes. These documents will confirm the details of the car accident and your car accident injuries for your employer, insurance company, or other interested parties.
  4. Follow company policy. If your crash injuries force you to miss time at work, be sure to follow your company’s policies and procedures for absences. That could include completing forms and time sheets and contacting supervisors.
  5. Communicate often. Keep your employer up to date on your recovery progress by communicating often about when you expect to return to work. If you need additional time off, tell your employer as soon as possible.
  6. Contact a lawyer. Reach out to a knowledgeable car accident lawyer to learn more about your legal rights and explore your options for seeking compensation for lost income and other losses.

Not Ready to Go Back to Work After Your Injury?

If you suffer a long-term disability or your recovery takes longer than expected after a car accident, you might be understandably nervous about losing your job due to missed time at work. After all, North Carolina is an at-will employment state, meaning employers can terminate employees at almost any time and for almost any reason.

Fortunately, under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), eligible employees can take up to 12 weeks of unpaid time off for certain medical issues. However, the FMLA only applies to certain employees, and not everyone meets the eligibility requirements, so working with an experienced attorney who can help you understand your rights is essential.

 How Do I Ensure I Am Getting Maximum Compensation?

The best way to ensure you get maximum compensation after a North Carolina car accident is to work with an experienced injury lawyer. A car accident attorney can identify all sources of compensation for your injuries, handle every aspect of your legal claim, and work tirelessly to increase the value of your settlement or verdict.

Contact Our North Carolina Car Accident Lawyers Now

At the law firm of Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC, our North Carolina car accident lawyers know how debilitating a car accident injury can be, and we’re here to help you pursue the maximum recovery you deserve. Contact our firm now to explore your options in a free initial case review.

Davis Poisson is a trial attorney with Poisson, Poisson & Bower, PLLC and is licensed in North Carolina and South Carolina. Davis devotes the majority of his practice to civil litigation with a focus on personal injury law. He represents clients throughout the Carolinas in all areas of personal injury law including car accidents, trucking accidents, catastrophic injury, premises liability and wrongful death cases.