Who Can Apply for Medicaid or Health Choice?
Medicaid or Health Choice* may be available to citizens of NC who are:
- Disabled or Blind
- In need of Long-Term Care
- Infants or Children under age 21
- Low Income Individuals and Families
- Age 65 or older
- Receiving Medicare
What if I Applied for SSD or SSI?
If you have applied for Social Security Disability and/or Supplemental Security Income (SSI):
- You have the right to apply for Medicaid for the Disabled even if the Social Security Administration has not yet made a final decision.
- You do not have to first be approved for SSI.
- Some Department of Social Services workers do not understand this.
*NC Health Choice (NCHC) is a health insurance program for children of families who make too much to qualify for Medicaid but too little to afford private insurance.
For additional information click here.